Wednesday 31 March 2010

Patient Priest: Clothadin

My steady ascent towards level 80 continues and I feel I'm starting to enjoy playing a priest more and more. I don't use many of my abilities - mainly my shield spell, my flash heal and the occasional renew to top people off - but I've found that's all I need in dungeons so far. I've been dispelling a lot, which is good as it means I've been learning to pay close attention to what's happening to the group. However, I've found that on some fights it uses up a lot of mana if I try to dispel everything, so I'm going to have to be a bit more selective about what I dispel. My mana regeneration is very good, but it was set back recently when I upgraded to my new level spells which cost more.

I feel like I'm levelling pretty quickly, and I'm mostly enjoying doing dungeons. It can be a little boring if you're put in the same dungeon three times in a row, but every group is different and the challenge of healing keeps it interesting. I'm not levelling quickly as some though - I don't have any heirlooms on this character, as my main is on a different server. I've chosen to level on a PvE server as I wanted the challenge of staying alive as much as possible. And there's no real challenge to stay alive when a lvl 80 enemy rogue is one-shotting you out of nowhere - that's just pointless so I'm staying away from that to concentrate on my levelling.

Continued....
I've done 4 more runs in Scarlet Monastery - three in the Armory and one in the Library. I think these dungeons are when people really start to learn to play their class. With mobs running away when they get low on health, it's easy to accidentally pull many more mobs than you planned and get swamped. It requires good pulling and positioning skills from the tank, and a bit of discipline from the dps.

We did the Library run with a rather interesting tank - a paladin wearing cloth armor! At least he was holding a shield. He was using the cloth heirlooms that give extra experience, and that stupid cloth hat I died for twice in Gnomeregan and still didn't get! He claimed that the stats on the cloth made it better than any chainmail he's found (or he just didn't want to give up the faster experience gain). He took quite a lot of damage, naturally with such low armor, but he was a good tank and I was able to keep him up. The run went well until we lost control of some mobs at the end which ran into the last room and pulled the boss, so we had a lot on our hands. I let a couple of the dps die as it was just too much to handle. When the remaining dps started yelling out for heals one of my group members helpfully stuck up for me and pointed out that I was polymorphed, and couldn't heal him while I was turned into a sheep. We completed the dungeon anyway, and I won a nice new robe off the boss.

The other runs in Scarlet Monastery all went very well, mainly due to having excellent tanks who kept the dps in line. I think I'm also getting to be quite a high level for it. I've been put into groups with some people a couple of times now, including a really good warrior tank whose name I'll remember. I wonder if I'll see them around more and we'll be in dungeons together a few more times along the way to level 80. I guess it depends on whether we all level at the same speed.

Something nice to see - on our final run in the Armory the rare tabbard dropped and noone ninja'd it! We all greed-rolled like civilised people. I didn't win though unfortunately. However, I'm feeling lucky that I've had a lot of good runs with nice people recently....

See the sexy Scarlet Crusader tabbard here - less than 2% chance to drop!
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=23192

No comments:

Post a Comment