Wednesday 31 March 2010

Patient Priest: Radiating gnomes

This time I've decided to sign up for a random dungeon, mainly because I want to know what's in that sack of helpful goods that you get for completing the random dungeon that Blizzard throws you into. I've done some running around and picked up the quests for Gnomeregan and The Stockade so I can get some extra experience and money from those. I'm really enjoying levelling through dungeons, but I'm earning less gold this way and finding it harder to level my professions (currently herbing and alchemy).

So, I sign up for a random group while grinding lean wolf flanks north of Darkshire (levelling cooking is so boring this way - it was much easier on my druid when I just seemed to pick up recipes and materials naturally from the area that I was questing in). I'm put into a group for Gnomeregan, and immediately things look bad...




1. Gnomeregan is slightly high level for me (up to level 33, and I'm only 27), so this will be much more difficult than the previous dungeons
2. The group is already dead when I arrive, and greet me with "Heya, we just got pwn'ed!!"
3. I start walking towards their dead bodies to see that they're deep into the dungeon and all the mobs in the beginning have respawned, so they've obviously been in here sometime
4. Initially no-one rezzes to come help me make my way through, and someone makes a joke about casting my sheild spell on myself and running past the mobs....
5. Eventually, 2 of them rezz, including the tank, but the other two do nothing and just lie dead and wait for us to do all the work!

So the 3 of us that are alive start making our way along the instance, and I see that we can easily kill a few mobs wandering about - maybe this won't be so bad. The other two suddenly take a flying leap off a ledge though, down into the depths of the dungeon, I'm a little perturbed but glad that they know a short cut, and I jump down too. They set off running at quite a pace, and I try to follow them. I lag behind though as I see quest items that I need and stop to pick them up. I turn around to see that I'm slightly lost and there's patrols up ahead.... It gets kinda scary but I manage to hide behind corners and avoid the patrols like a pro (playing Hitman obviously taught me something) and we eventually get to the others. We rezz them, kill two groups of mobs, open a door and kill the last boss! Dungeon over, two quests complete, I receive my sack of helpful goods and open it to find a very nice necklace which is a great upgrade for me, as I didn't have any necklace yet. Helpful indeed and an easy 10 minutes work!

So the moral of the story here was, no matter how bad things look in the start, it's worth giving it the benefit of the doubt. And I see why people like paladin tanks - they have much more success keeping aggro on groups of mobs. I'm gonna have to pester those druid tanks to start spamming swipe more.

I'm so enthusiastic after this group that I decide to sign up for a group for The Stockade, eagerly eying all the quests I have in there and the experience and gold I'll get for completing them.

This time we have another druid tank, who tanks in caster form using starfire, hitting mobs with his mace and occaisionally healing himself. Do these people do just do it to take the pi**? If so, why do they stick around? We ask him to go into bearform and he changes into cat. The warrior ends up tanking and does a pretty good job despite wielding a 2-hand sword instead of a 1-hand and a shield. Things are naturally a bit chaotic, given the group setup, but we manage to kill everything and stay alive.

However, things go wrong when we get to the last boss and engage him - I didn't even realise we had reached the last boss. The druid was chain pulling stuff, using a variety of forms, and I was out of mana before he even attacked the boss. We down the boss, completing the dungeon, but a massive load of mobs spawn and overrun us - obviously we were supposed to clear the whole area before killing the boss. Anyway - this results in our first wipe, and my second death - not a happy priest! The druid and one of the dps leave, and the remaining 3 of us ressurect and kill a few more mobs in order to complete our quests.

And what did I learn from this dungeon? I probably should have voted to kick that sucky, annoying tank as he wasn't even trying. However we got what we went there for, so I guess it's all good in the end.

So my record is now level 28, 2 deaths, 1 wipe

No comments:

Post a Comment