Wednesday 31 March 2010

Patient Priest: Want hat!

I signed up for another Gnomeregan run. It's not my favourite instance; it's got lots of mobs close together which means lots of difficult pulls. I had a few quests left to finish though, and I still needed a hat, so I went back. We had a problem getting a tank - the first tank left, the second got stuck in a tunnel and quit, our dps warrior then put a shield on and started tanking, then another paladin tank arrived and started tanking too. So I had two tanks to try and heal, which just made things complicated. Things went fairly smoothly though until the last long tunnel, when we decided to take the middle path, which was a mistake - we twice managed to accidentally pull stuff on both sides of us, resulting in us getting overwhealmed and killed pretty quickly, twice - two more wipes to add to the total!

After the second wipe, everyone quit, despite agreeing that we should have taken the left path in the first place, and I had to admit defeat - this is the first dungeon that I haven't completed. And I still don't have any hat....

So remember guys - in Gnomer, always take the left path at the end.

More Monastery after the break...



I then did another couple of random instances - I twice ended up in SM: Graveyard. The first time we had an excellent paladin tank - probably the best I've grouped with so far. I was also very impressed with the amount of dispelling that was happening. Usually people ignore things like poison, magic effects and curses, because they think they're not much of a problem and the healer can heal through them anyway. Either that or they're too busy spamming fireballs to pay attention to the diseases that are slowly eating away at them. So I was happy to see a couple of people in the group showing that they were aware of what was going on and they were keeping their eye out for their group members.

While waiting to get a place in a dungeon group (not that I have to wait long) I'm currently questing in Stranglethorn Vale. I usually avoid this zone as it notorious for low level questers getting killed by bored high levels. However, I'm on a PvE server so I'm immune to any such PvP action, and this is the best zone for me to get lots of herbs to improve my alchemy. I like the jungle theme, and since I haven't quested here for a long time it doesn't feel old and boring. My annoyance soon returned though when I managed to disconnect while hunting panthers and log back in to find myself dead - my ninth death but only my second while questing.

I get an invite to a Scarlet Monastery: Library Group and join to find that the dungeon is already in progress (i.e. their previous healer left half-way through for some reason). I run through the instance to join them, just as the tank runs through a corridoor, pulling as many mobs as possible, then quits the group, leaving the rest of us to die. The group falls apart after that and we all give up and leave.

My next random group ends up in SM:Armory. I'm now level 34 so I should be ready for these higher dungeons. I should also be moving up to the higher tier of "lucky dip" bags rewarded from the random dunegons, so I hope to get some shiny new rings and shoulders soon. Despite being a challenging dungeon, the run goes very smoothly, mainly thanks to a very effective, but rather fast tank. This is probably the most difficult challenge I've had so far and the first time I really feel I've done a good job in tough circumstances. The dps'ers are taking damage from the enemy mages casting flamestrike, but I manage to heal them up at the same time as keeping the tank alive. One of the group died on the final boss, but that was a rogue standing still during the whirlwind, so I didn't feel bad.

I feel I'm starting to learn the art of healing though - let's hope I'm not talking too soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment